Mobile phone usage is growing at its fastest ever pace.
We’ve had the benefits of the 3G service for a while now, and we’re currently on the cusp of the 4G revolution. If you take a casual look around you, you can’t but fail to notice that virtually everyone you encounter will be using or talking on some type of mobile device, whether that’s a smartphone or a tablet.
So why should mobile compatibility matter to businesses?
Why should they care that the world’s gone mobile-mad? Well, put in its simplest terms, it matters because 20% of the search market is currently dominated by mobile, and this figure will continue to rise year on year as mobile technology becomes increasingly sophisticated. Now if you think that figure’s impressive, then you’ll be astonished by some of the statistics that Hubspot and Digital Buzz, two of the industry’s dominant research organisations have come up with.
If you really want to know why it’s now more important than ever for businesses to have an optimised mobile website, then read on.
- Mobile now accounts for 10% of global internet usage worldwide, and has doubled over the last 18 months. [Source: The Next Web]
- Over 20% of the world’s 4 billion mobile phones are smartphones. [Source: Hubspot]
- Apple and Android control more than 75% of the global smartphone market. [Source: Hubspot]
- 7.96% of all web traffic in the U.S.A. is mobile traffic: the number increases in other continents with Africa boasting 14.85%, and Asia, 17.84%. That’s an increase of 192.5% since 2010. [Source: Hubspot]
- 29% of mobile users will choose to scan a mobile tag if they can get coupons. [Source: Hubspot]
- 39% of consumers who walk out of stores without purchasing will have been influenced by smartphones. [Source: Hubspot]
- Only 7.91% of mobile internet access is used for social activities, whereas that figure is 79% on desktops. [Source: Hubspot]
- Over 33% of Facebook’s users access Facebook Mobile; 50 percent of Twitter’s users use Twitter Mobile. [Source: Hubspot]
- QR code scans increased by 300% in 2011 compared to 2010. [Source: Hubspot]
- The average tablet user spends 13.9 hours each week using the device. [Source: Hubspot]
- 11. 73% of smartphone owners access social networks through apps at least once per day. [Source: Hubspot]
- There was 103% growth in website traffic from smartphones during 2011-2012. [Source: Hubspot]
- US consumers spend almost 10 percent of their money using a mobile device. [Source: Hubspot]
- There are currently 6 billion mobile subscribers worldwide. [Source: Digital Buzz]
- That figure represents 87% of the world’s population. [Source: Digital Buzz]
- China and India are responsible for 30% of this growth. [Source: Digital Buzz]
- 1.2 billion people access the web from their mobiles. [Source Digital Buzz]
- Over 300,000 apps have been developed in the past 3 years. [Source: Digital Buzz]
- Google earns 2.5 billion in mobile advertising revenue annually. [Source: Digital Buzz]
- 38% of our daily media interactions are on smartphones. [Source: Hubspot]
- 80% of searches conducted on a smartphone are spontaneous. [Source: Hubspot]
- 59% of smartphone shopping is done at home, while 41 percent is done on the go. [Source: Hubspot]
- 30% o shopping-related content accessed on a smartphone is driven by search. [Source: Hubspot]
- 12% have looked for deals on social media sites using their smartphones. [Source: AllTwitter]
- There are more devices connected to the Internet than there are people on Earth. [source: AllTwitter]