Adding quality content to your website is the best thing you can do to boost your rankings on the search engine results pages.
That should be emblasoned on the consciousness of every one who is either involved with or has a passing interest in. It may be a cliché, but good content really is king, especially since the advent of the Panda update. High quality content is now crucial for online businesses. Google has set its stall out, and now values unique, fresh and relevant content above all else. It will favour sites with this sort of content and boost their rankings on its search engine. But therein lies the dilemma. What happens if you’ve got things to say or experiences to share, but you’re not good at expressing these? Alternatively what happens if you can write like Hemingway, but have little if anything to say? Well, good content is still within your grasp, you’ll just have to work at a little bit harder, but you’ll perfect the art in the end. Here’s how.
Creating relevant and consistently high-quality content for business websites
If you’re creating or reviewing your website’s content in the hope of of improving your search engine rankings, then consider the following points:
- Provide unique information that is genuinely interesting, so that you can entertain and inform at the same time. If you’ve got experiences that you think an audience would appreciate or value, then share these.
- Don’t have duplicated content on different pages, or say the same things repeatedly. Using synonyms can be acceptable, but game the system and Panda will spot this.
- Spell and grammar check everything as a matter of course: poor grammar and bad spelling not only makes your site look unprofessional, but can also affect your ranking.
- Try to put an original angle or a personal perspective on the information you post: have the courage and belief to give your opinions, not somebody else’s.
- Present a balanced, even-handed view of the topic you’re discussing and don’t be afraid to show both sides of the argument.
- Create content that is worth bookmarking: if you can write content with the right sort of balance people will return to your site time and again. It doesn’t have to be the finest prose: it just has to resonate with an audience. Granted the way you express yourself may not be off the highest order, but your audience will forgive this if the content grans their attention. Besides you’ll get better with practice.
- Provide specific, in-depth information which is of value to the readers.
- Always credit your sources, and don’t pass off someone else’s information as your own.
Producing high-quality content will help your website perform better in the search engine rankings for your chosen keywords. It’s not a race though: it’s actually a marathon, so you’d better be prepared for that. A content marketing strategy is an evolving process, and an organic approach towhich doesn’t focus purely on link building and targeting factors known to be relevant in the search engine algorithms.
Having said that, it is still important to optimise for those known factors.
It’s also important to remember that search engines view a website as a whole; so poor quality pages may adversely affect a site’s otherwise excellent ranking, and drag its reputation down. This can still be the case even if there are many other individual high-quality pages on the website. Try to enhance all of your pages so that the quality remains consistent: if this isn’t possible, then remove the low quality pages until you get a chance to improve them.