Been wondering whetherstill cuts the mustard in marketing stakes? Not convinced it’s a priority platform for you?
Well, feast your eyes on the following 17 statistics and you might just change your mind:
1. As of 2016, more than half of all adult Internet users have accounts with a minimum of two social media sites.
2. In addition, somewhere in the region of 70% of all Internet users now have at least one social media account.
3. There are known to be approximately 2.1 billion active social media users on a global basis. Of these, no less than 1.7 billion access their accounts primarily or exclusively by way of mobile devices.
4. Contrary to popular belief, the global social media user population is actually growing by the year. In fact, it is estimated that by the year 2018, there will be approximately 2.5 billion active users globally.
5. Most social media users have an average of five active accounts.
6. Incredibly, the most active social media audience on a global basis is mothers with kids younger than five years old.
7. While approximately 35% the Internet users over the age of 65 now use social media, a full 90% of those between the ages of 18 and 29 are active regularly.
8. There has been a significant shift in terms of social media priorities when it comes to teenagers and young adults. While 32% see Instagram as the most important social network, 24% prioritise, 14% , 13% Snapchat and 4% Tumblr.
9. Every 60 seconds, more than 285,000 pictures are shared by Snapchat users and more than 18,000 votes are cast on Reddit.
10. Even now, somewhere in the region of 40% of business owners and managers believe that social media represents an important element in their brand’s overall marketing strategy. No more than 13% believe that they have personally produced or seen evidence to suggest that social media could benefit their marketing strategies.
11. Nevertheless, the vast majority of consumers say that what they see and read via social media has a direct and significant impact on their purchasing decisions.
12. Over the next five years, the average marketing budget share devoted to social media marketing is expected to double. Right now it stands at 11%, though is expected to increase to 24% by the end of the decade.
13. Total social Media Advertising revenue will by the end of 2016 have exceeded $10 billion for the first time.
14. Devising and implementing an effective social media strategy is seen as a difficult challenge by approximately 55% of small businesses. Approximately 34% of larger enterprises also consider it to be challenging.
15. Social media is the preferred marketing platform for more than 60% of new business startups.
16. Second only to e-mail, social media is considered by most to be one of the most effective digital marketing strategies.
17. Last but not least, more than half of all consumers (57%) say that they would be much more likely to have a positive opinion of a business after reading positive feedback or recommendations via social media.