Is your business hooked into the social media yet?
If not then you’re really lagging behind. According to the latest Social Media Marketing industry report, 97 per cent of businesses are now on board. That must be a good thing, mustn’t it? Well, yes and no; the report found that whilst the vast majority of business had bought the ticket, few actually knew where they were going on the journey. What was even more concerning was that many of those who knew their destination wouldn’t know how to recognise it when they arrived. So what other nuggets did the latest industry report throw up? What’s hot and what’s not in the world of social media?
The annual industry social media report surveyed 3,000 marketers.
Once again it threw up some intriguing facts and statistics, including amongst others; the effectiveness or otherwise of Facebook advertising, the rise of the podcast in social media marketing and the apparent demise of the daily deals market.
Here are a few of the nuggets:
- 97% of marketers are advocates of the social media and use it all the time.
- 75% of marketers have been engaging in social media activities for less than 3 years.
- 23% only started their social media engagement in the last 12 months.
- 86% of marketers believe the social media is important to their business (up 3 per cent from last year).
- 89% of marketers though their brand’s engagement with social media had increased their exposure.
- 75% said they had seen an increase in traffic since engaging with the social media.
- 64% of marketers saw an increase in lead generation form social networks.
- 62% of marketers believe blogging is important for their business.
- 66% of marketers would like to increase their blogging activities.
- Only 28% of marketers had optimised their blogs for mobile.
- 92% use Facebook for marketing purposes.
- 49% see Facebook as their principal social media platform.
- 87% of marketers are looking for answers when it comes to assessing ROI on social media.
- 37% thought their Facebook marketing efforts weren’t working.
- 74% admitted they wouldn’t know how to tell if they Facebook ads were working or not, because they hadn’t got the tools to analyse ROI on Facebook ads.
- 80% of marketers are no longer using the daily deals market, and have no intentions of using sites like Groupon or Living Social in the future.
- Only 5% of marketers are using podcasts currently.
- 24% are planning to add podcasts to their armoury over the course of the next year.
What can we learn from the latest study? Little, other than statistics can be interpreted in any way you choose to. 67 per cent of people know that.