Did you know that in 2014 the number of mobile device users accessing the internet surpassed the number of desktop users?
Moreover, between 2014 and 2015 the rate of growth of desktop internet use was 14%, whereas the growth of mobile internet use was 137%. That in itself is remarkable enough and is a glowing testament to the success of the smartphone. However, it’s only when you consider what most people are using the mobile devices for that you start to understand its real significance.
According to Dubai-basedcompany, GO-Gulf, 80% of smartphone users now use mobile to shop online. The company also claims that the conversion rates of mobile devices are nearly 3 times those of desktop or laptop conversion rates, and that 70% of mobile searches lead to a purchase within the hour.
However, according to the Huffington Post mobile shoppers will only send their money on sites that are properly mobile-optimised. So it’s imperative that businesses ensure that their websites are both responsive and fully-optimised for mobile so that their potential customers are offered the best possible online experience.
If you still remain unconvinced about the importance of responsive web design, then consider the following points that Go-Gulf has kindly provided:
- 4 out of every 5 smartphone users now choose to shop on their mobile device.
- 70% of mobile searches lead to purchases within an hour
Conversion percentages on mobile devices are nearly 3 times higher than on desktop devices.
- More than half of all internet use is spent on mobile devices.
The average smartphone user spends around 2 hours a day on their device.
- 67% of shoppers are more likely to buy products from websites that are compatible with mobile than not.
- 62% of companies that designed their websites for mobile platforms have reported increased sales.
- 64% of companies that designed their websites for tablet devices have reported increased sales.
- 74% of users say that if a site works well on their mobile device they’re more likely to visit again.
- Each mobile search triggers an average of 2 follow-up actions.
- 55% of conversions from mobile happen within an hour.
(Infographic source – http://www.go-gulf.ae/blog/responsive-web-design/)
From that information it is now pretty clear that designing for mobile or tablet viewing is no longer an option: it’s essential.